Thursday, January 21, 2010

Welcome to Coalition for Clarity

If you're reading this, it probably means you followed the link from my personal blog, And Sometimes Tea, or from Mark Shea's comment box where I left the address, or some such thing. I got such an overwhelming and enthusiastic response to my post yesterday calling for a "Coalition for Clarity" whereby Catholics of all political leanings could make it clear to our political leaders that we do not condone torture, that it seemed like a logical step to create a blog specifically for that purpose and to open it up to Catholic contributors who share this view.

The way I envision this happening is this: anybody who has written or wants to write about the Church's teaching about torture, the political debate about torture in light of the Church's teachings, the hijacking of once-moral conservatism to serve the torture agenda, the human-rights aspects of torture, or any similar topics can send me an email to redcardigan (at) gmail (dot) com (remove the usual) requesting to be added to this blog's contributors. I'll send back the invite from the appropriate source, and you'll be all set up to post here.

While original posts written just for this blog would be lovely, I'm thinking that the real purpose of this blog will be to serve as a collection point for the many posts people already write in a variety of places on the Internet which attempt fidelity to the Church's teachings on the intrinsic evil of torture. I think it would be extremely helpful to be able to find different Catholics' thoughts and reflections on this moral evil in one place. It's not difficult at all to find pro-life Catholic blogs and bloggers, but it's more challenging to find anti-torture ones.

That said, I don't much relish the role of "blog administrator" here; it's not something I've ever done before, and I'd be very happy if some much more technically-inclined person were to decide eventually to create a more professional looking blog and take over that role. The reason I'm doing this at all is because I think it ought to be done, and I don't think it's fair to ask others to do what I wouldn't be willing to do myself. But I'll be thrilled if this blog eventually evolves to a bigger sort of effort. In a way, I see this as our chance to stop an "I'm Catholic, but..." position on torture from ever getting underway, and having the deleterious effect on our Church and our culture that the "I'm Catholic, but..." pro-abortion position has had.

If you're a Catholic blogger who would like to write against torture from a Catholic viewpoint, please email me at the address above. Let's get this started!

No comments:

Post a Comment