Thursday, May 27, 2010

Human trafficking - another assault on human dignity

Here's one I hope we can all agree on: the "trade" of people, especially of impoverished women, is a crime that cries out to heaven.

Major global events which draw large crowds from around the world also hide a dirty secret: the trafficking of people, essentially kidnapped into slavery, and often used for prostitution.

I first noticed the news covering this story around the last Super Bowl and around the Olympics in Vancouver. Now, the bishops are raising concerns about the World Cup. I'd guess that the Shanghai World Exposition has its share of forced labor and imported prostitution as well, though I haven't heard anything on the news.

Again, I'm in the sorry position of having more questions than answers. I don't know what steps we might take to protect the vulnerable or to reduce the demand for such inhumanity. But it's something to think and pray about.

2 comments:

  1. The first thing that comes to mind is a safe house. Dorothy Day envisioned that every parish church would run its own Catholic worker house. The Sisters of Life run I think two houses for expectant mothers in NYC. More of these kinds of safe houses would be a step toward protecting the vulnerable and raising awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eldest daughter used to volunteer at a safe house for girls rescued from white slavery. They are extremely low profile because of the danger so I don't think they are much into raising awareness of the issue.

    Public executions of mongers of the trade would be my preference for raising awareness.

    ReplyDelete