Thursday, October 14, 2010

Catholic college, pro-torture professor?

In my internet meanderings, I came across a video about a protest of torture memo author John Yoo speaking at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I discovered that Yoo's co-author on those memos, Robert J. Delahunty, is on the faculty there, and the advertised lecture was billed as a kind of reunion for these Bush-era advisers.

Now, I'm under no illusions that Catholic higher education actually holds and teaches according to the Catholic faith these days. I thought it was idiotic of Notre Dame to bring President Obama to speak, and I think it's scandalous how many Catholic campuses roll out the red carpet for the propagandizers of abortion and sexual license.

But this is no less scandalous: that a Catholic university, listing "We respect the dignity of each person" as a "Conviction" and as a component of their mission, should choose Delahunty as a formator of their law students, and should invite Yoo to address their community, without answer or contradiction.

I had thought that torture, at least, was one area that Catholic academics could get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment